Simple Steak Pie Recipe



I went out of my comfort zone the other day and decided to make a Steak Pie from scratch. I had no book or recipe telling me what to do, I just made it up as I went along....and it turned out great!
I was mooching around Sainsbury's not knowing what dinners to make for the week when some puff pastry caught my eye and I thought I could make an easy puff pastry top pie. So I brought some random ingredients I thought would go and got cooking.
I decided to put carrots in my pie (odd I know) but we're not a fan of onions, and I remember that carrots really absorb flavors and can be really tasty!


You will need:
300 grams Diced Beef
3 Carrots peeled and chopped
A box of ready rolled puff pastry
A dash of Worcester sauce

A frying pan and either a pie dish; or I used two small personal casserole dishes.

  1. Firstly I put a dash of oil into a frying pan and added the diced beef when the oil was hot enough. I also added my chopped carrots into a pan of water and waited for them to boil.
  2. Cook the Beef until its thoroughly cooked and add a dash of Worcester sauce to flavor the meat.
  3. Boil 500ml of water in a kettle and add a beef stock cube. Start adding a small amount of the stock to your meat. 
  4. Drain the carrots and add to the frying pan.
  5. Keep adding a small amount of the stock until you have a nice consistency. You want it to be slightly thicker than gravy.
  6. Add the herbs to the mixture in sprigs or chopped up, and add the packet of spices. This thickens up the gravy and adds some really nice flavors to the dish, (obviously you might have different tastes to mine!)
  7. Keep stirring and adding more stock until you have the desired consistency and then place the contents of the frying pan into an oven proof dish. i used two individual casserole dishes for our pies. (I got our from home bargains for £1.50 each but here are some similar ones)
  8. I placed them in the oven at 180 degrees  and waited for the mixture to cook a bit.
  9. Whilst they were in the oven I cut out two circles to fit over the top of the dishes from the lids of the casserole dishes. 
  10. Once the mixture had been in the oven for about 30mins to simmer away I carefully placed the pastry on to the dishes.
  11. Place back in the oven for 5 - 10 mins until your pastry is golden on top and risen.


Serve with garden peas, creamy mash and gravy.

A tip is to keep tasting the mixture as you go to ensure it's to your tasting. maybe use different herbs or different gravy to make it your own.

Happy Pie-day!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog